When we feel “off” we know it’s time for a reset of some sort. When our bodies don’t feel quite right because they are post-partum, post-surgery, post-stressful time period, or post-poor eating habits we need TLC on the inside. Ayurveda believes that all health begins with good digestion, but the average American actually never has a completely empty stomach, we just add more food on top of the last food we ate, which means that our stomach is always working to digest food and the gut flora doesn’t really get to do its work, which is detrimental to our health. Basically, most of us could benefit from some TLC on the inside.
Enter the wonderfood of the East: Kitcheri. Used for thousands of years as a recovery food, Kitcheri is a pure, plant-based protein that completely leaves the stomach in approximately 45 minutes, heading to the small intestine and getting nutrients into the body quickly and more thoroughly. A combination of split mung beans, white basmati rice, and a blend of traditional spices, Kitcheri offers the ultimate, mineral and amino acid-rich, nutritional base to any meal. Comforting, easy, affordable, kid-friendly, and above all, nourishing… your Kitcheri reset has arrived.
Kitcheri is jam-packed with benefits
+ Nutritious, whole food
+ Supports healthy digestion
+ Nutrient-packed mung beans help fuel stamina
+ High fiber
+ Contains the ten essential amino acids your body needs
+ Vitamin C-jammed split mung beans kick immune system into high gear
+ Supports gut health
Our Kitcheri Kit is all you need for an individual 5-day reset or to keep your pantry stocked with this endlessly customizable, good-for-your gut, new favorite weekly staple. We have 8 different Kitcheri recipes, or you can be creative and customize your Kitcheri how you would like. Take a week to reset your body with important nutrients that support your health.
How much Kitcheri should I eat at every meal?
Start with a bowl. If you are still hungry 30 minutes later, have another bowl! Everyone and every body is different, listen to what your body is telling you and do what works for you.
Do I eat 3 normal meals a day or little meals throughout?
Totally up to you and what your day looks like. Some days we like to have 8 little bowls spread out over the day and night, especially if working from home. But 3 meals a day is a bit easier when you need to go into the office. Listen to your body, if you get hungry, have a bowl of Kitcheri is fine. Also, know that you aren’t dehydrated. Studies have shown that people tend to think they are hungry when actually they are thirsty, so definitely have a glass of water when you think you are hungry, then if you are still hungry 30 minutes later, a bowl of Kitcheri will keep you going.
What can I drink during the reset?
Make sure you drink a lot of water (8 x 8oz glasses — preferably on an empty stomach, 30 minutes before you eat). There is a lot of fiber in Kitcheri, so you want to make sure you are drinking enough water to make the most of the increased intake of fiber.
What can I prep the night before I start the reset?
You can have some carrots, celery, and other vegetables already chopped in the fridge, ready to use each day. You can also put your Kitcheri in the slow cooker overnight so it is ready for you to eat in the morning.
Tips & Tricks
1. If you want to do a more pure reset, try the Classic Kitcheri, Kitcheri Soup, or Basic Kitcheri. These recipes are simple, versatile, and can be made into something everyone will love – even the picky eaters in the family!
2. If you want to save time throughout the week, make an extra batch of Classic Kitcheri. You can use leftovers and toss in different veggies every night, blend it into a soup, or make nachos, burgers, or power balls.
3. Kitcheri is very kid friendly! Not only to kids love it, but their bodies understand it and crave it because it makes them feel good. It’s a food that we think everyone should know how to make.
4. When you finish up your 5-day reset, try to incorporate 24 hours of Kitcheri once a week. Make a batch of Kitcheri in the morning and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Continuing this routine of incorporating Kitcheri into your diet will be beneficial for you and your family to get the most out of all of the digestive and nutritional benefits Kitcheri provides.
Here is everything you need to grab at the market to make our Kitcheri recipes:
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh or frozen peas
- Water or stock
- Corn chips
- Leftover veggies in your fridge