Our go-to Countertop Kitcheri Bowl is a take on a favorite Ayurvedic recipe of Nicole’s. It’s easy to make, easy to digest, and easily feeds a crowd for less than $5—a delicious, cheap and super healthy dinner. We never tire of this mineralizing one pot because it’s endlessly customizable with leftover vegetables, proteins and using what you have on hand.
Butters, Kids, Kitcheri, New Moms, Seasonings
The Countertop Bowl: Kitcheri
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
REST TIME 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons Golden Butter
- 1 teaspoon of Kitcheri Blends with Benefits
- ¼ cup Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup split mung beans
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- small knob freshly grated ginger
- 3 cups water or stock
- 2 cups your favorite vegetables (ideas: spinach or chard (no kale!), asparagus, sweet potatoes, squash, onions!)
- Thoroughly wash ½ cup of Countertop Kitcheri Bowl Rice and Beans. We like to do this in a bowl, not through a sieve. Wash 3-4 times until the water runs clear, stirring the grains in the bowl when you add fresh water. Let the grains sit in the last bowl of water whilst you prep everything else.
- In a heavy based pot or deep saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of Golden Butter and 1 tablespoon of Kitcheri Blends with Benefits.
- Add in ½ cup chopped cilantro, ½ cup of chopped carrots ½ cup chopped celery and small knob of freshly grated ginger, covering all in melted Golden Butter and spices.
- Sauté veggie mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add washed rice and mung beans into the veggie mixture, continuing to evenly coat all the ingredients in the Golden Butter.
- Saute for another 2 minutes, then add in 3 cups of water, vegetable stock or bone broth.
- Add 2 cups of your favorite vegetables.
- Let ingredients get to soft simmer, then turn down and cook on low for 30-40 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, then stir in another tablespoon of Golden Butter and a handful of greens (not kale, a soft green -- spinach, chard, etc).
- Cover with lid and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Topping Ideas: serve your Countertop Bowl with fresh herbs, avocado and a squeeze of lemon or a dollop of yogurt.