We all have the power to turn our everyday food into superfood: just add spice.
Spices have been a hot commodity for thousands of years. Literally. At times, salt has ranked more valuable than gold. Cultures all over the world have turned to dried seeds and roots, cracked, ground, or cooked whole, to preserve their foods, strengthen their reserves, and nourish and heal their bodies.
At Countertop, we use the power of spices like turmeric, cardamom, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, asafoetida, cloves, and more, to help you cook delicious food with maximum health in minimum time.
Why we love Black Pepper
We like to call Black Pepper “The Workhorse”. A superhero in plain sight, black pepper is a staple on every kitchen countertop and table. Packed with manganese and Vitamin K, pepper stimulates the taste buds to get hydrochloric acid going, revving up digestion. It brings out the best in food, and other spices: when combined with black pepper, turmeric becomes 5,000 times more bioavailable.
Black Pepper is something we think about as a companion to salt on our table, an everyday spice. But it is so much more than the spice to your salt. It is full of nutrients and has tremendous health benefits. Plus it gets an A for bioavailability, more on that after the rundown!
Black Pepper is packed with health benefits:
- Antibacterial – helps fight infection
- Improves digestion
- Boosts metabolism
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves cognitive function – beneficial for use with Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, as well as prevention
- Relieve sinus, asthma, nasal congestion, cold and cough
- Treats skin issues like vitiligo
- Reduces risk of cancers, heart and liver ailments
And here’s that LONG list of nutrients:
- Potassium: supports blood pressure, cardiovascular health, bone strength, and muscle strength
- Manganese: improve bone health in combination with other nutrients, may reduce disease risk, helps reduce inflammation, blood sugar regulation, contributes to good thyroid health
- Calcium: build and maintain strong bones; Heart, muscles and nerves also need calcium to function properly
- Magnesium: important for bone formation by helping assimilate calcium into the bone, plays an important role in carbohydrate and glucose metabolism, helps maintain the health of muscles (including the heart)
- Phosphorus: builds strong bones and teeth, filters out waste in your kidneys, reduces muscle pain after exercise, manage how your body stores and uses energy
- Sodium: regulates fluid levels, improves brain function
- Thiamin: helps prevent complications in the nervous system, brain, muscles, heart, stomach, and intestines
- Riboflavin: boosts energy, increases blood circulation, promotes growth and development
- Niacin: helps lower cholesterol, eases arthritis and boosts brain function
- Vitamin B6: plays an important role in mood regulation, may promote brain health and reduce Alzheimer’s risk, may prevent clogged arteries and reduce heart disease risk,
- Vitamin E: may help protect your cells from damage
- Folate: mood support, maintains a healthy heart
- Vitamin K: helps with bone health, brain health, and heart health
- Dietary fiber: helps maintain bowel health, lowers cholesterol levels, helps control blood sugar levels
- Even some protein!
Black Pepper & Digestion
Black Pepper helps proper digestion in several ways. It helps keep you “regular”, by preventing unnecessary diarrhea and constipation (and even colic in babes) and helps prevent the formation of intestinal gas and helps move gas in the right direction – down and out – instead of up and in to the upper chest cavity and other vital organs. Black Pepper also helps the body detox via sweating and urination, cleaning out pores, removing excess water and more.
Black Pepper & Bioavailability
Black pepper is kind of like a Lyft ride for the beneficial properties of other herbs, spices, and nutrients, especially our favorite super spice, Turmeric. Studies show Black Pepper gets the health benefits of Turmeric further into the system and throughout the body, so it can do its job where it’s needed most*. Bioavailable = Available to the Body.
To get more black pepper into your diet we recommend any of our Golden products: Golden Honey, Golden Butter, Golden Breakfast Blends with Benefits, as well as our Chai Blends with Benefits, and Cocoa Butter for breakfast or sweeter foods. And our Golden Butter, Grill, Poultry, and Kitcheri Blends with Benefits for savory dishes. And if you’re a new mama our Mother’s Honey also has black pepper too!
Shop here to boost your black pepper intake with your favorite Countertop products
*Contraindications: Because Black Pepper increases bioavailability in the system if you are taking any medication check with your doctor before significantly increasing black pepper in your diet as it could also intensify the effect of the medication when taken together.
Countertop is passionate about helping you cook with maximum health in minimum time. Our products re-imagine everyday staples like butter, sweetener, and seasonings into minimally processed, easy to use, outrageously delicious superfood blends that turn the foods you already love into foods your body will love you for. Read more about our Countertop story here.