We all have the power to turn our everyday food into superfood: just add spice.
Spices have been a hot commodity for thousands of years. Literally. At times, salt has ranked more valuable than gold. Cultures all over the world have turned to dried seeds and roots, cracked, ground, or cooked whole, to preserve their foods, strengthen their reserves, and nourish and heal their bodies.
At Countertop, we use the power of spices like turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, asafoetida, cloves, tulsi, and more, to help you cook delicious food with maximum health in minimum time.
Why we love Ginger
Ginger is one of our favorite winter spices, as it is full of nutrients and antioxidants to keep your body on track as we push through the cold season. Ginger is all around us in winter, and you can enjoy it knowing that there are tons of health benefits that are packed in to this wonder spice. All of which are ideal for making everything you want in the winter — from breads and cookies, to oatmeals and lattes, to roast chicken and potatoes! Plus, it belongs to the Zingiberaceae family, making it closely related to our favorite golden spice – turmeric.
Ginger is packed with a range of health benefits such as being anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral. Ginger is also pro phytonutrients, especially potassium, magnesium, and Vitamin C. Loved all over the world as a digestive aid, it calms upset stomachs and nausea while improving nutrient absorption and circulation. Ginger also lowers blood sugar and helps fight the cold and flu, making it the “cure-all” spice you need in your life.
Nutrients in Ginger
- Magnesium: important for bone formation by helping assimilate calcium into the bone, plays an important role in carbohydrate and glucose metabolism, helps maintain the health of muscles (including the heart)
- Vitamin C: boosts immunity, helps battle high blood pressure, strong antioxidant, protects memory, helps prevent iron deficiency
- Phosphorus: builds strong bones and teeth, filters out waste in your kidneys, reduces muscle pain after exercise, manage how your body stores and uses energy
- Vitamin B6: plays an important role in mood regulation, may promote brain health and reduce Alzheimer’s risk, may prevent clogged arteries and reduce heart disease risk
- Folate: mood support, maintains a healthy heart
- Riboflavin: boosts energy, increases blood circulation, promotes growth and development
- Niacin: helps lower cholesterol, eases arthritis and boosts brain function
What more could you need from a spice? Take care of yourself this winter by upping your ginger intake. Shop here to boost your ginger intake with our products like Cocoa Butter, and Chai and Poultry Blends with Benefits.
Countertop is passionate about helping you cook with maximum health in minimum time. Our products re-imagine everyday staples like butter, sweetener, and seasonings into minimally processed, easy to use, outrageously delicious superfood blends that turn the foods you already love into foods your body will love you for. Read more about our Countertop story here.